Smart-phones offer on-the-spot, convenient access to information & friends
The era of mobile devices is definitely here. People spend more time than ever on their mobile devices, using internet applications to connect to their friends, get information and listen to music & videos. According to a Microsoft study,by 2014, mobile Internet usage will overtake desktop internet usage.Already more than 50% of all 'local' searches are done from a mobile device. Driven by bandwidth and a rich ecosystem of 'anytime, anywhere' wireless capabilities; mobile online activity is rising dramatically along with communication, entertainment, social networking and media capture.
People who use the internet, e-mail, watch videos, listen to music and/or play games now rely on mobile devices to do it easier, faster and more conveniently. They also have more fun and enjoy being online in a manner that is 'cool'.
What Gives Mobile Devices That Edge?
Smart-phones and tablet computers are driving the increased use of networked applications and web content. What has so greatly enhanced their appeal?
- While service providers now bundle mobile devices with Internet access on 3G and 4G networks, the growing number of public Wi-Fi spots make it more practical to browse with a mobile device than using a laptop.
- With GPS services, your phone knows where you are. Businesses can provide geo-targeted information, guiding users to local products and services and monetizing that capability through location-based advertising and offers.
- Internet applications for mobile devices, or 'apps', allow you to customize your phone to your specific set of wants and needs. Apps range in size, complexity and cost, from a free, simple flashlight application, to a navigational system that will let you plot positions on a marine chart, to a medical reference guide.
- In-phone cameras facilitate video calls, point-and-shoot photography, video recording, QR code scanning and barcode reading. Capturing and sending media in a single action on a mobile is much faster and easier than transferring images from a camera, or using a camera on a PC/laptop. Also the smart-phone's microphone is always ready to go.
- Phones soon will take the place of the consumer's wallet and the retailer's storefront. Mobile access is being spurred on by ease of e-commerce, featuring location-based services, time-based offers, mobile coupons and push notifications, etc..
- Smartphones and tablets provide a more interactive internet experience by using browsers custom built for mobile devices. Exciting capabilities like precise location information from GPS, user orientation from a digital compass, multi-touch input from one or more simultaneous gestures, device positioning from an accelerometer, etc., have eclipsed PC-based web browsers.
KreativeWebworks specializes in mobile website development. Check out our Moble website portfolio